Meet the Makeup Artist, Caitlin
Birthday: November 18th, 1993
Go-to outfit: Jeans and a t-shirt!
Favourite superhero: Wonderwoman
1. Hey Caitlin, where are you from and explain to us what you do!
Hey! I’m originally from the East Coast but I moved all the way to the West Coast a few months ago for a great job opportunity. I’m an EIT (engineer-in-training) for the public sector! I’m lucky enough to live on Vancouver Island, one of the most beautiful places in the world.
2. When did you first discover your interest in engineering?
Math has always come easily to me and it felt like a natural extension of that. To be honest I hated university until I found a niche I really liked, which turned out to be transportation. An undergrad and masters degree later, and here we are!
3. As a woman, do you feel more pressure to succeed in such a male dominated field?
Definitely. There’s a saying that women have to be twice as good to get half of what men get, which has some truth. Girls need to see other women in powerful roles in order to visualize themselves there. There is a huge absence of women in engineering, particularly in executive positions in the private sector. I have big goals for myself and being a role model for the next generation of female engineers has a lot to do with it.
4. Have you ever felt unfairly treated in your field (during university or in the workplace) because of you gender? If so, how did you handle it. If not, have you witnessed it.
Unfortunately, yes. I have had things said to me that I know would never be said to my male counterpart. The best thing to do is call it by name. Have the hard conversation. Be direct. When we ignore things, like sexism, we give it power and legs to walk around.
5. What’s the best part about your professional career as a highway safety engineer-in-training!
Knowing the research and analysis we do, ultimately makes highways safer in British Columbia. It’s easy to get lost in the day-to-day data heavy spreadsheets, but when I see a highway fatality headline in the news, it puts the work we do into perspective.
6. You’re also a beauty blogger! When did you start doing that?
I started my blog halfway through my graduate degree (February 2016)! I needed a creative outlet!
7. What’s your blog called and what kind of posts do you make?
My blog is The Minimal Journal, it’s a space where I talk about beauty, fashion, and life in a simple and creative way.
8. Name three underrated or unknown beauty products that every women would want:
MAC Strobe Cream - It’s glowing skin in a bottle!
Drugstore Mascaras - They’re the best! No need to splurge. A current favourite is Maybelline Lash Sensational.
9. You did the makeup for Nora Swimwear’s spring collection web shoot! Tell us your tricks to get that awesome summer glow:
Ashley had an incredible vision for the line. We did ultra glowing skin with gold or peach on the eyes, and glossy lips. Cream products are key for a natural looking glow, Glossier’s Haloscope is a current favourite!
Highlight all high points of your face: cheekbones, nose, brow bone, chin, and a little above the brows. I even do my eyelids! For extra oomf in the nighttime, layer a powder highlight over a cream.
10. Tell us three things you are grateful for today:
My health, the incredible women in my life, and the beautiful island I call home!
11. What’s the best way to relax?
Sweating it out at SPIN class, I always feel my most relaxed after a good sweat.
12. How do you treat yourself?
Good food! I love to cook or go out to a great restaurant. There are some fantastic farm-to-table restaurants on the island I love.
13. What’s something you wish you had more time for:
Travelling. There are so many places I want to see.
14. What is something that you know for sure?
Hard work pays off.
15. What is your biggest dream?
To have it all! I want to have a great career, the ability to travel, and to fall in love someday.
16. Where do you hope to see yourself in the next 5 years?
Happy and successful.
1. Favourite accessory: My tiny evil eye gold necklace, I never take it off.
2. Favourite food ever: Fresh fruit in the morning, it’s the little things!
3. Favourite place to take your Nora Swimwear: California! I’m planning a trip there now.
4. Favourite yoga pose: Savasana. Otherwise known as... a nap.
5. Favourite country: Canada! How lucky are we to live here?