Meet the Model, Alyssa
Nickname: Lyss or Aly
Occupation: Student at St.Thomas University
Pick a an unusual habit you have: Chewing my nails
Dream modelling collaboration: Ashley Graham (duh) and Barbie Knox
1. Hey Alyssa, where do you live and what do you do?
I am originally from Moncton, but I study journalism and communications in Fredericton at St. Thomas University during the school year.
2. When did your interest for modelling first begin?
It’s always been something I’ve wanted to do. I never thought I could because of my size, but when I discovered plus size modelling it inspired me to really go for it.
3. Who is the first fashion icon you can remember?
I can’t remember who my first fashion icon was, but I remember my mom forcing me to Google Cindy Crawford because she had beauty marks. I wanted to get mine surgically removed for the longest time when I was younger. She’s been a huge inspiration to me!
4. What kind of modelling do you do, and what brands have you modelled for?
I’m a plus size model! I’ve modelled for Laura/Melanie Lyne, Ardene and Nora Swimwear so far.
5. What do you think of the term ‘plus size’ model?
Well, I don’t really understand it. If you’re working as a model, then you’re a model. I don’t think there’s a need to say ‘plus size.’
6. What’s your goal in terms of modelling? Where would you like to be in three years from now?
I would love to be signed to more agencies so I could get more work! I’m also working really hard to make a career out of this.
7. What are the downsides of modelling professionally?
Blah, the constant worry of your measurements sucks. But at the end of the day this is what I want to do and it’s part of the job! And the social media aspect of it. You need to have a good Instagram profile and a good amount of followers. I’m trying to get a hang of it, but it’s not really working out for me.
8. Tell us your three favourite things about modelling:
1. The people you get to meet are awesome. Everyone is so passionate and kind.
2. The opportunity to travel. I’ve only had to fly to Montreal for work, but I’m excited to be able to work in different cities.
3. The challenge. I love being challenged, especially when it comes to my job. I’m constantly working to be the best that I can be.
9. Do you or have you ever had any haters? If so, how do you handle it?
I can’t say I’ve ever had any haters! I’ve had the occasional Instagram comment calling me gross or fat, but I really couldn’t care less.
10. Who are your biggest supporters?
My family, boyfriend and besties. I’m really lucky to have people in my life who support what I do and push me to achieve my goals. I’m really grateful!
11. What keeps you driven?
I follow a lot of models and designers on Instagram. It’s something I check everyday so it’s like a daily reminder of what’s out there. I want to have a successful modelling career and being reminded of what kind of opportunities are out there makes me work even harder.
12. Have you ever had to make a really big decision when it came to school or your modelling career? If so, what was it and how did you handle it?
Yes! I’m actually moving to Montreal for the summer to pursue my career. It was a really hard decision because I’m leaving a lot behind, but I’m really excited to work and get a taste of what it’s like to live in a big city.
13. What do you do when you’re having a bad day?
Call my mom or dad. They’re always there to listen, give me advice and remind me that I’m loved. I’m also a huge believer in taking care of yourself first, so if I’m really not doing well I’ll spend the day lounging around.
14. What’s the biggest advice you can give to someone who is looking to model professionally?
I think that the most important thing is that you love yourself first. You need to be confident in your skin. It’s a really tough industry and I don’t think I could handle it without my “don’t give a sh*t” attitude. It’s also really important to do research on different agencies, there are scams out there!
15. Tell us three things about yourself that people would be surprised to hear:
1. I absolutely love being by or in the water. I could swim, kayak, float all day long.
2. I’m sweeping floors in a warehouse right now so I can afford to live in Montreal this summer. Glamorous, uh
3. My Instagram is filled with pictures that are the opposite of what I look like on a daily basis. I’m the happiest when I’m wearing sweatpants, Cam’s hoodie and no makeup.
16. Why did you decide to model for Nora Swimwear?
When Ashley asked me to model for Nora it was an immediate yes from me. Ashley has worked so hard to make all the Nora Swimwear suits fit and feel good on everyone. I feel really confident in Nora Swimwear and having Ashley around immediately brightens up the room, she’s awesome to work for.
1. Favourite popcorn seasoning: I usually just like butter, but when I’m feeling adventurous I like white cheddar!
2. Favourite colour to paint your nails: Any kind of nude polish is my go-to.
3. Favourite Nora Swimwear mix and match: Tallulah top and the Luna bottom.
4. Fave book: I’m not much of a reader because my attention span is awful, but I really liked “The Shack”.
5. Fave thing to do when you’re on vacation: Eat and swim.